Thank you Lauren, of Sew Lonnie for nomination me for the Liebster Award! I have enjoyed reading through her blog as of late and looking at some of the nifty little things she gets up too!
So, this may have happened about two weeks ago? For that I apologise for my quite late reply!
- Post 11 facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions posed by your nominator
- Nominate up to 5 other blogs and ask them 11 questions of your own
- Link your lovely nominator's Blog!
The award is targeted at bloggers with less than 200 followers to show them off and spread them round and hopefully get more followers for all! What is a Liebster? The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
To begin, I will list my 11 facts about myself which will explain why I have been pretty absent of late on the blogosphere!
- I ran away to Singapore and Tokyo in early December and was there until Christmas
- The beginning of January I was accepted into the Adelaide College of the Arts, for a Diploma of Costume for Performance
- I drove with all of my belongings down to Adelaide (2 days in a car with just me, my I love Canberra Teddy, and Podcasts)
- I am now living in an amazing little maisonette with two Canberra friends, one of which is a Glass blower (he was accepted into the Jam Factory to work for the next two years), and a painter, who I have known since year 6 and used to live around the corner from me. Best house ever.
- I avoid using my laptop when I do not have a computer mouse. Did not until yesterday and cannot stand using the little touch pad on my laptop as it hurts my RSI pretty quick :'(
- The other day I found a pop up op shop around the corner where I bought an amazing Rotary White pedal sewing machine on a table with draws and all its matching feet from 1913!!! (loving Radelaide already....obviously!!)
And now for the other 5 facts about me which aren't related to the last 2 months!!
- I miss my adorable cat that I left back home in Canberra, her name is Maya... :'((WAIT THAT IS VERY MUCH RELATED TO THE PREVIOUS!)
- I have completed a Cert IV in clothing production, a corsetry short course, a bra making and swimwear short course, half of a Cert II in Millinery and now hope to do a short course in Shoe Making at TAFE SA! They have the most amazing selection of sewing related short courses here :)
- I am a complete Ebay and shoe addict
- I tap dance and play soccer
- I love to learn new and old things which are sewing related!
Here are my answers to miss Sew Lonnie's questions!
- How long have you been sewing for and how did you learn?
I have been sewing properly...I think since about year 8? Abouts13 years old...
2. What is your sewing process, do you choose the pattern or fabric first?
Ahhhh that's hard. A bit of both, but mostly the fabric decides what its going to be. I don't often go searching for p atterns, I'll either make the pattern if im dedicated and enthusiastic enough, or ill stumble across one I really like on either burdastyle or a blog and dash over to ebay/etsy and get it sent to me, then i'll spend forever finding a fabric, or it will be put away until I find it again and go YAY I now have the perfect fabric in my stash
3. How would you describe your style?
Umm.... well I think to be honest im going through a little bit of a 'style change', or perhaps 'style reversal'. Reverting a bit back to my younger self's tomboyish look...but a bit more stylish and mature. But the other half of me really also enjoys vintage and lolita inspired syles. So lets just say when the transformation is complete, a nice mix of them all.
4. What is your favourite self-made item? Share a link!
Ahhhh idk! Maybe this top?? I go through phases....
5. Have you ever drafted your own pattern?
Yes! It's fun and I love it, but frankly im a little bit lazy and should do it more often. I learnt advanced pattern making through my Cert IV and now im back at school I will be doing some there which will be lovely :)
6. How do you find the time to fit sewing into a busy lifestyle?
Late nights! What else haha. Or doing it instead of something else important. Or shutting off from the world. But now that I have moved to a new city where I don't know many people, I have had a lot more time to sew (blog posts eventually to come haha). So being isolated isn’t all that bad :p
- What are your favourite clothing stores?Hmm. I go through phases or very much avoiding clothes stores or buying from them to be honest... They either make me annoyed at their outrageous prices, make me poor...or the best outcome is make me inspired!So a couple I guess are, Veronica Maine (part of the Australian brand which also does Cue). Melissa shoes, which is mainly online for me.... and I am really struggling to think of anything else....is it bad for me to say asos?
8. What has been your most challenging project?
Last year (and for about a year before that) I was making a wedding dress for a college! It was super stressful, but super rewarding! I learnt so much about construction, fitting, self discipline, self belief, working with a client and many other things!
- Do many of your friends sew?Ah, not really where I was in Canberra, which was maybe good and bad? Bad because I had no one to rant about sewing with, good maybe, because who knows, would I get super territorial about my hobby which for so long has been a bit of a just me thing?I have a friend who I was meant to teach how to sew? And a friend who moved to Melbourne who also sews and we talk about it when we catch up and used to a lot in high school too.But now that im doing a costume course, I think this statistic is about to change considerably!
10. If you had to choose one, what would be your favourite band?
Finally an easy questions! The Shins! Im pretty bad at getting into music and finding bands I really like. The Shins have been number one since I was 16 and I was so happy to see them live last year in Sydney :)
11. Where do you buy most of your fabric from?
Op shops generally. Honestly I am a bit of a bargin hunter (or you can say stingy haha) or occasionally Spotlight when I am in there for other things and get distracted.....or very occasionally online, really depends on what I want to make and what from :-)
Meg (San Francisco) Meg Made This
Laika Doll (Melbourne) Laika Doll
Sugar Doll (Melbourne) Sugar Doll
Angela Denny (Los Angeles) BONNE CHANCE
Lisa T (Canberra) Lisa T
1. What is your favourite part about sewing/creating, what is your least favourite part?
2. Is there a good amount of resources where you live? If not, what places do you use online that you use/love?
3. What inspires you to create?
4. How does sewing or handmade things influence your daily life?
5. What is your favourite self-made garment/object/thing
6. What is your favourite hand made thing by someone else? Pick if you can!
7. If you get someone else to make something for you, what would it be?
8. What is your blogging goal for the year?
9. If a web designer came along and offered to spice up your blog for free, what would you ask him to do?
10. What is your favourite food?
11. If you could learn to make anything what would it be? eg. Bikes, furniture, home made beauty products, veggie patches, silversmithing
You can read a little more about the origins of the Liebster Award here: http://sopphey.onimpression.com/2012/05/liebster-blog-award-origins.html
Where she has tried to hunt down when this fun first started!
Anywhoo i hope y'all be well!! I will try to update again soon ^__^